Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Weigh In Post 2

I have been able to record that kick start I weighed in at 142.8 kilo's or 314lb. I must admit this is pretty normal for me I tend to lose weight in chunks and because I haven't really lost anything for about a month this is not surprising. I have started to do some regular exercise again and this has probably helped.

The one thing that you do need to be aware of is to adjust how much you are eating as you lose weight. This week it has been the rotisserie chicken one of my favourites I have had to give it up I always overeat when I get it and I never take the skin off and obviously I have lost enough weight that it has now become a problem. So I have now taken it out of the calorie equation I have kept avocado and cheese in I have done this because I know the chicken is a problem for me and keeping my potion size under control.

Some people can control their portions no matter what the food is I can't I have a couple of foods that I really struggle with so I choose not to eat those particular foods. This is not for everybody but it works for me.

As a part of my journey I found that my weight loss had stop ed and my weight was actually going up even though I was sticking to my calorie count and doing some exercise this has happened before, so I started doing some investigation and it had been mentioned before by a friend and by others trying to lose weight it was called insulin resistance. A lot of my family suffer from type 2 diabetes's including 2 siblings a brother and a sister and some more distance relatives suffered from type 1 diabetes. I am not diabetic but I had 24 out of 26 of the symptoms of insulin resistance. This means that I am a candidate for type 2 diabetes and that some foods are a problem for me they create like an allergic reaction inside my body and I create too much insulin. To find this out at 48 it was a great eureka moment and at the same time it was why didn't anybody tell me about this before my life could have been so different.

Having this insulin resistance problem means that I have to be careful with certain foods. No Sugar or Grains in any form I also have to eliminate potato and be careful with other root vegetables. I have been able to re-introduce brown rice to my diet but definitely not white rice. I am careful with fruit No high carbohydrate fruits like banana's or melon's I stick to berries apples and citrus but only 3 small serves a day and always with protein to counteract the sugar. This new way of eating has made such a difference in my life I feel so much better I don't get the emotional highs and lows and my fluid retention has reduced significantly, my weight loss has been very regular since I started this new way of eating. I do have a relapse every now and again but the scale reminds me why it is a problem if I do indulge in foods I shouldn't and it takes about 2 weeks to fix it.

I started this blog talking about food I have trouble with so I avoid that particular food because I know I have no control its all or nothing, others seem to be able to indulge certain foods within their calorie range and therefore nothing is forbidden and then also the other extreme were they believe that they can never eat outside of a very strict diet. This is definitely a personal journey and you need to do what works for you and don't let anybody influence you in thinking that you need to do it differently or my favourite "a little bit wont hurt or you have been so good you should have a reward"" I made it especially for you or eat up I don't want any of it left or don't you like xxxx its my favourite" be polite but firm and that you are in control of what goes in your mouth. If it comes to the crunch you can always bring out the I am diabetic or allergic for emergencies

Have a great day
Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment